Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

BEETS !!!

Beets are wonderful things filled with nutrients, and roots are good for your root.  In traditional East Asian medicine this relates to your root health and energy system, helping you stay grounded and nourished with blood that keeps your tendons moist and your ability to deal with stress supple so you can bend but not break from the stresses of life.  Beets are said to nourish the blood and they contain vital minerals that are missing from many peoples diets.

So how do you cook them !?!
I like to bake my beets, I chop them into chunks and bake them next to my fish in my one pot dish, or on their own with olive and coconut oil with a spice or two, rosemary and ginger are nice.

You can steam or boil them too, but think about making soup with that lovely red broth, you can add the beet greens to it later too.

In college I would bake a whole beat in the toaster oven like a potato and eat it like an apple by hand, which can be a slight bit messy with all that red juice but works out if you have a sink and a towel near by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment